Installing windows is a great way of improving natural indoor lighting, which brightens the mood inside your home and gives the illusion of a larger interior. However, if you want to maximize natural indoor lighting, you might want to consider installing a type of window called a skylight. Compared to regular windows, skylights can let in more sunlight because they’re installed on the roof. Here are some of their benefits.
- Better ambiance – Skylights provide great views of bright blue or dark starry skies, creating the illusion that the sky itself extends into a room.
- Lower heating costs – In winter, skylights can help lower heating costs by letting in heat from the sun.
- Health benefits – Installing skylights in your bedroom can help you wake up on time. That’s because exposure to sunlight regulates your sleep patterns or circadian rhythms. The sunlight passing through skylights sends signals to your body to get out of bed. In this sense, a skylight can also function as an alarm clock.
What Are the Disadvantages of Installing Skylights?
- Higher indoor temperatures and cooling costs – Of course, sunlight can be too much of a good thing. Too much heat gain can make rooms uncomfortably warm. To prevent too much heat from accumulating, residential roofing contractors usually install skylights in areas of your roof that don’t receive as much sunlight as other sections.
- Roof leaks – Skylights that weren’t installed correctly are prone to leaks. That’s why it’s important to make sure only experienced contractors handle your skylights’ installation.
Pressure Point Roofing, Inc. has been serving local residents since 1989. We offer a wide range of professional roofing services, including roof repair and skylight installation services. To schedule a consultation, call us at (541) 772-1945, or fill out this form. We serve homeowners in Central Point Oregon as well as the surrounding communities.