Regular cleaning can help maintain the beauty and extend the life of your windows. But sometimes, you’ll notice there are still stains and streaks on them even after a thorough cleanup. The reason for this may lie with the water you used for the task – it may contain a high concentration of minerals. Here’s how you can get rid of hard water stains on your windows.
But First, How Does Hard Water Affect Your Windows?
Water becomes hard when it passes through areas with a high content of minerals like magnesium and calcium. When hard water is used for cleaning windows, it leaves small mineral deposits, or limescale, on the surface after it evaporates. Over time, the surface of the window will develop a thick, whitish glaze because of the mineral buildup.
What You Should Do
The good news is that these stains are simple enough to remove. Here’s what to do:
- You just need to prepare a cleaning solution of water and vinegar.
- Soak a towel in the mixture and press it onto the stains on the window.
- Leave it there for a minute or two. The acidity of the mixture will soften the mineral deposit, making it easier to wipe off.
- Wipe and press the towel on the window until the stains are completely removed.
- Repeat as many times as necessary. Given how your windows are an important design element, it pays to do a thorough job at removing these hard water stains.
- Dry the window with a clean cloth, and then shine them with a spray cleaner.
Another simple and effective way to get rid of hard water stains on windows is to rub the spots using white wine. If you have self-cleaning windows, you can keep them sparkling with absolutely no effort on your part. Self-cleaning windows come with an advanced coating that breaks down any dirt or stain on the window surface when exposed to the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays, and, once it rains, any dirt or stains on the units are washed right off.
Aside from roof repair and maintenance, Pressure Point Roofing, Inc. also specializes in exterior home improvement. These include window installation, which can make a huge difference to your home’s look, comfort and efficiency when performed by a reliable and experienced contractor like ourselves. Call us today at (541) 772-1945, or fill out this contact form to schedule your consultation. We proudly serve Medford and the rest of Southern Oregon.